SEVIS Step 2: Complete Orientation Quiz Within 1 week of arrival

This section is a QUIZ.  Please read, then click on the button at the bottom of the page to answer the questions.  

SOCIAL SECURITY: By now, you should have applied for Social Security. You do not need a Social Security number to start working. You may start work after you have gone to the Social Security office. At the Social Security office, you will receive a letter from Social Security saying that your application was successful. It is illegal for you start work before you have this letter.

If your Social Security card is taking a long time to reach you, go to the Social Security office, show them your passport, and ask if your number has been created yet.

AVOIDING PROGRAM TERMINATION: Don't get terminated!  If you are terminated, your name will be put on a list of illegal aliens to be found, detained and deported by U.S. Immigration.  A permanent mark is put on your immigration record, which could affect your ability to get a U.S. visa for the rest of your life!  ERDT terminates about 5 students every summer.  There are 5 main reasons that ERDT would terminate you in SEVIS:

  1. If you do not arrive at your job by the start date on your visa, and work at the job on your job offer for at least 3 weeks;

  2. If you start a new or 2nd job without getting permission from ERDT.

  3. If you do not respond to emails from within one week. Saying "I did not have internet" is not an excuse.

  4. If you move to different housing and do not inform ERDT within 1 week;

  5. If you do not maintain your medical insurance for your entire stay in the U.S., including the grace period.

HOUSING:  Local laws in the U.S. usually limit the number of people in an apartment or home to 3 per legal bedroom.  If you live with too many people in an apartment or house, it is illegal.  If you have questions about this, contact ERDT.

IF YOU LOSE YOUR JOB: You are expected to be working every week during the dates on your J1 visa.  If you quit your job or lose your job, you have 3 weeks in which to find a new job.  Contact ERDT if you need help finding a new job.  If you are fired for doing something illegal (such as stealing money or goods from your company) and the employer has proof of this, we will either terminate your visa or end it early, depending on how serious the situation is.

You must work for the employer listed on your DS-2019 form for at least 3 weeks.  Do not quit or get fired. 

If you are out of work for over 3 weeks, ERDT will end your program early.  This is not bad, but you will need to return home within 30 days.  

It is better to have a new job before quitting your old job.  Contact ERDT if you need help finding a new job.

GETTING A NEW OR 2ND JOB: To request permission to get a new or 2nd job, you need to print the Mid-Program Job Offer and give it to the new employer to complete.  3 documents must then be sent to ERDT by you or your employer:  (1) The completed Mid-Program Job Offer, (2) Worker's Compensation Certificate and (3) Business License.  You can fax them to 310-450-4634 or email scans or clear photos to ERDT will respond within 1 business day to let you know if you have permission to begin.  

If you begin a new or 2nd job before getting permission from ERDT, your program will be terminated immediately, with no questions and no second chance.  Once you are terminated, your name will be put on a list of illegal aliens to be found, detained and deported by U.S. Immigration, and a permanent mark is put on your U.S. immigration record, which could affect your ability to get a U.S. visa for the rest of your life.

GETTING ENOUGH HOURS TO COVER YOUR EXPENSES:  On your job offer, your employer wrote the average hours you can expect to work over the summer.  Your hours will probably be lower than this during the first week or two, as you receive training and are added to the working schedule.  Because your first paycheck won't come until a couple of weeks from your first day of work, it isn't unusual for students to use most of the $1000 they brought with them on the program to pay for expenses within these first few weeks.  You are welcome to begin looking for a 2nd job at any time, just be sure to follow the simple procedure listed on our website.  

IF YOU ARE ARRESTED:  If you are arrested, you will get one phone call.  Call ERDT, who will speak with the police to try to help you, assist you with locating a lawyer if needed, and inform your family.  Having ERDT speak with the police is one of your best chances of a lighter punishment.

YOUR INSURANCE:  Have proof of insurance in your wallet at all times.  You never know when you could have a medical emergency.  Failure to provide proof of insurance could cause thousands of dollars in medical bills for you and your family.  If you need another copy of your card, email your Home Country Agent immediately.

IF YOU NEED HELP FROM THE U.S. GOVERNMENT:  If any problems arise while you are in the United States, contact ERDT at (424) 259-1192 or  If you are having difficulty in resolving an issue with ERDT, you can contact the U.S. Government.

Please answer the questions below. You must answer them all correctly. Once you answer all the questions correctly, you will see a link to submit your SEVIS Step 2 to ERDT, and you will receive an email confirmation.